Thursday 5 April 2007

Admire this Bulgarian 'treasure'!



Someone who knows how obsessed I am with anything to do with folk music, recently mentioned this video to me. However, I have to say that more than ‘folk’, I’d have to call this ‘gawd!’ (sorry, it was a stupid joke). It’s from Azis, the king of Bulgarian chalga, which is a genre that blends Bulgarian, Slavic and Middle Eastern folk with Western dance music – quasi perfection, to be clearer. Let me tell you, the first time I saw Azis, I doubted whether I should point and laugh or fall on my knees and thank God for this miracle. Azis is camp. In the worst way imaginable. Incredibly tacky and trashy is the best way to describe him. Just look at this video: In it, Azis waves and gyrates in the middle of a construction site while wearing an outfit that makes him look like a cross between Mad Max and an Ottoman concubine. Meanwhile, three massive bodybuilders change in a locker room, longingly staring at each other, then they sweat and sweat and sweat around Azis, until the end, when... Well, watch the video! Then you'll be able to enjoy the most marvellous collection of outrageous clichés that anyone's ever seen!!!

So far I have managed to find quite a bit of information on Azis, which means that you can expect a post about him really soon! I am also trying to look for a place that sells his records; in fact, if anyone can suggest a trustworthy place to buy them online, I’ll be immensely grateful! Oh, but let’s not forget about the music. I am in LOVE with chalga, and I’m sure that you’ll also fall in love with it. The song is called No Kazvam Ti Stiga, which I can’t translate, as I’ve no knowledge of Bulgarian – if anyone can assist in this as well, I’ll be equally grateful. However, it is one of the best fusions of techno and folk I’ve ever heard. Wonderful!

3 comments:

Mike said...

I thought this was the gayest clip ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_PkUgqnms

But I was wrong! Aziz and his delightful bodybuilders win in a landslide.

Great stuff, Rakkas!

Rakkas said...

Hello, Trash Addict!

That Ultra Naté video is amazing, and the song superb - not to mention far too classy for Azis!

Still, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist this. Who could? A bearded drag queen and massive bodybuilders. Isn't that the stuff that dreams are made of?

Well, I'm glad you liked this. Thanks for coming and see you soon! :-D

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same reaction you did when I first discovered the wonder of Azis. :) I sat there with my jaw dropped to my desk and couldn't take my eyes of the monitor.

LOL My Bulgarian friends are horrified that I love this man!

Have you checked out Tochno Sega with him and Ustata? BRILLIANT!

--Renee